Friday, February 24, 2012

Clustering SQL

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--=_NextPart_000_0013_01C3F965.B5C9CBE0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Hi everyone,
I have a Design Question about clustering SQL. I know clustering is = an expensive solution but I was given a project to provide high = availablity for Sharepoint Portal Server 2003. The environment = involves over 1400 users and I was given two HP BL20p servers to work = with. The project will need to be finished and in production in two = month and their SAN solution will not have iSCSI available after 3 = months. I have researched and can't seem to come up with a reliable = solution to cluster two servers with SQL, plus my intent is to also = cluster SPS2003 as well since the design for easy growth, the SQLs will = stay the same. It would probably be easy to add two web servers after = the budget allows for such addition. I would appreciate any comments in = this matter.
-- Regards,
David V. Dellanno - MCSE, MCP+I, MCP
MSDEMO Consultants
Williams Place
2564 Bridgewood Lane
Snellville, Georgia 30078 USA
(770) 736-8794 (Office)
msdemo.net
--=_NextPart_000_0013_01C3F965.B5C9CBE0
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
&
Hi everyone,

I have a Design Question about = clustering SQL. I know clustering is an expensive solution but I was = given a project to provide high availablity for Sharepoint Portal Server 2003. The environment involves over 1400 users and I was = given two HP BL20p servers to work with. The project will need to be = finished and in production in two month and their SAN solution will not have iSCSI = available after 3 months. I have researched and can't seem to = come up with a reliable solution to cluster two servers with SQL, plus my intent = is to also cluster SPS2003 as well since the design for easy growth, the SQLs = will stay the same. It would probably be easy to add two web servers = after the budget allows for such addition. I would appreciate any comments = in this matter.
-- Regards,

David V. Dellanno - MCSE, MCP+I, MCPMSDEMO = ConsultantsWilliams Place2564 Bridgewood LaneSnellville, Georgia 30078 USA(770) = 736-8794 (Office)msdemo.net
--=_NextPart_000_0013_01C3F965.B5C9CBE0--You will need shared disks hardware to cluster two sql
servers. At this point you should consider clustering your
webservers, and then request for more hardware to cluster
database servers. Most 24/4 sites are first designed this
way.
Clustering in sql server is more about hardware than
software. You will need to buy additional storage hardware
with simultaneous disk access capability. Meanwhile make
sure you use RAID 1, 10 or 5 and implement a good sql
backup strategy. SQL Server 2000 on win2k is a very stable
configuration, even more stable then those overrated
unix/oracle configurations. You can also have another
server with sql server installed on it, and export key
tables for your sites to this server once, twice or more
often in a day. In case of unplanned downtime of sql
sever, you can quickly point your apps to the spare sql
server.
Cluster in any database system will take lots of time in
planning, and lots of money too. Usually database servers
are most expensive server in any IT infrastructure anyway.
>--Original Message--
>Hi everyone,
> I have a Design Question about clustering SQL. I know
clustering is an expensive solution but I was given a
project to provide high availablity for Sharepoint Portal
Server 2003. The environment involves over 1400 users
and I was given two HP BL20p servers to work with. The
project will need to be finished and in production in two
month and their SAN solution will not have iSCSI
available after 3 months. I have researched and can't
seem to come up with a reliable solution to cluster two
servers with SQL, plus my intent is to also cluster
SPS2003 as well since the design for easy growth, the SQLs
will stay the same. It would probably be easy to add two
web servers after the budget allows for such addition. I
would appreciate any comments in this matter.
>--
>Regards,
>David V. Dellanno - MCSE, MCP+I, MCP
>MSDEMO Consultants
>Williams Place
>2564 Bridgewood Lane
>Snellville, Georgia 30078 USA
>(770) 736-8794 (Office)
>msdemo.net
>

No comments:

Post a Comment