Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Collation Name?

Hi,
I am help a church (chinese) to look at the existing database. When I
first look at it, I found out it is "Chinese_Taiwan_Stroke_CI_AS" under the
database property for the sectin of Collation Name.
I would like to know what is the major different between the default
(SQL_Latin1_General) and the "Chinese_Taiwan"? Also, I found out if i open
up a QA and typed in a Select statement, they are all case sensitive.. e.g.
a
table name called Customer, I have to key in "Select * from Customer", if i
type in "Select * from customer", there would be a syntax error...
Is that related to the Collation Name? or Is there any setting I can
configure to remove the case sensitive?
Thanks
Edyup, That is related to collation names. But syntax is case senisitive ?
that is something you set when you install the server. well collation name
can be differently spefified for db/table/even at column level. see BOL for
details.
--
Regards
R.D
--Knowledge gets doubled when shared
"Ed" wrote:

> Hi,
> I am help a church (chinese) to look at the existing database. When I
> first look at it, I found out it is "Chinese_Taiwan_Stroke_CI_AS" under th
e
> database property for the sectin of Collation Name.
> I would like to know what is the major different between the default
> (SQL_Latin1_General) and the "Chinese_Taiwan"? Also, I found out if i ope
n
> up a QA and typed in a Select statement, they are all case sensitive.. e.g
. a
> table name called Customer, I have to key in "Select * from Customer", if
i
> type in "Select * from customer", there would be a syntax error...
> Is that related to the Collation Name? or Is there any setting I can
> configure to remove the case sensitive?
> Thanks
> Ed|||Ed (Ed@.discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I am help a church (chinese) to look at the existing database. When I
> first look at it, I found out it is "Chinese_Taiwan_Stroke_CI_AS" under
> the database property for the sectin of Collation Name.
> I would like to know what is the major different between the default
> (SQL_Latin1_General) and the "Chinese_Taiwan"? Also, I found out if i
> open up a QA and typed in a Select statement, they are all case
> sensitive.. e.g. a table name called Customer, I have to key in "Select
> * from Customer", if i type in "Select * from customer", there would be
> a syntax error.. .
> Is that related to the Collation Name? or Is there any setting I can
> configure to remove the case sensitive?
Whether object names in a database are case sensitive or not depends on
the collation. However, I would expect Chinese_Taiwan_Stroke_CI_AS
to be a case-insensitive collation. (That's what the CI stands for).
The difference between different collations is that they sort and compare
data differently. For instance in SQL_Latin_General1, and co-sort
with A, where as in Finnish_Swedish_CS_AS they sort after Z, as they are
independent letters in Finnish and Swedish.
Since my Chinese is thin, I can't really discuss the peculiarities of
Chinese_Taiwan_Stroke_CI_AS, but obviously it obeys the old rules of
Chinese, and not the modern introduced by the rgime on the mainland.
Stroke would indicate sorting is done according to strokes. How
SQL_Latin1_General sorts Chinese, I don't know.
Anyway, changing the collation requires you to rebuild the database and
is a major work. I would stronly recommend you to keep the collation,
if all you have problem with is the table names. (It's another issue
if the Chinese stuff is handled in some undesired way.)
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment