Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Collation of Database and Server

Hello,
I am working a problem according to the collation of MS SQL Server
2000 and a database.
Environment: German MS SQL Server 2000 SP3a
Server Collation: Latin1_General_CI_AS
Collation of the database: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
(Note: the database was created in an english MSDE and dureing an
upgrade restored on the SQL Server)
During an application upgrade process (refering to the SQL Server
database) I was running into a lot of problems according the datetime
format. So my suggestion was that this problem is related to the
different collations, cause in a different testing environment with
another collation (server collation = database collation) I was able
to perform the upgrade.
So, now I am wondering if its possible to change the database
collation without loosing my data? (hoping that this will solve the
prolem)
Any suggestions or experiences are welcome
tia,
MarcusMarcus
Yes , you can change COLLATION in the database
Look at ALTER DATABASE in the BOL
> I was running into a lot of problems according the datetime
> format.
Look, without seeing your code/query its hard to suggest something.
"Marcus Schmidt" <Schmidt_Marcus*at*gmx.de> wrote in message
news:t139p0lqkn9219ii7opkjv26tkto4u2528@.
4ax.com...
> Hello,
> I am working a problem according to the collation of MS SQL Server
> 2000 and a database.
> Environment: German MS SQL Server 2000 SP3a
> Server Collation: Latin1_General_CI_AS
> Collation of the database: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
> (Note: the database was created in an english MSDE and dureing an
> upgrade restored on the SQL Server)
> During an application upgrade process (refering to the SQL Server
> database) I was running into a lot of problems according the datetime
> format. So my suggestion was that this problem is related to the
> different collations, cause in a different testing environment with
> another collation (server collation = database collation) I was able
> to perform the upgrade.
> So, now I am wondering if its possible to change the database
> collation without loosing my data? (hoping that this will solve the
> prolem)
> Any suggestions or experiences are welcome
> tia,
> Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment